New blue recycling bags which signify a change in the way Tamworth and Lichfield recycle are ‘one third smaller than ordered’, claim the council.
A Tamworth Borough Council statement reads: “We have identified that the bags that have been delivered from our supplier have not been made to the detailed specification that we supplied and are one third smaller than ordered.
“Although the bags don’t meet our size specification it is vital that residents begin using them to separate recycled waste. If additional bags are needed you can request these from the end of next month and they will be delivered when the team has capacity to do so.”
READ MORE: Tributes to ‘irreplaceable nanny’ who died after being struck by van
Tamworth Borough Council and Lichfield District Council recently wrote to households informing them of the changes and how they will work.
The letter read: “We are changing how we collect recycling across Tamworth and Lichfield. We need paper and card to be separated from other recycled items to improve the quality of what we recycle. This will reduce the costs of recycling to the council and help the environment.
“We are giving households a new blue bag for recycling paper and card. You will still have your blue bin for glass, cans and plastics. Your recycling collection will still take place every two weeks on your normal collection day.
“A detailed list of what you can can’t recycle will be provided when we deliver the bag.
“We will be delivering your bag with an information leaflet inside on your usual recycling day in. Once you receive it please start filling your blue bag with paper and card straight away and only use your blue bin for glass, cans and plastic. Please put the bag out for emptying on your next blue bin collection day.”
Explaining the reasoning for the change it says it will improve the quality and lower the cost of recycling in the UK and give you more room in your blue bin.
Frequently answered questions are also detailed. These include:
- Is the bag reusable?: Yes, it is reusable and weatherproof.
- Won’t the contents get wet or blown away?: No, the bag has a fastening velcro lid that will secure the contents. It is also weighted.
- How will I know which is mine?: There is a white address panel in the bag for you to write your address on with a permanent marker.
- How much paper and card will it hold?: Card should be flattened/cut down to ensure the maximum amount can fit.
- Where does all the recycling go?: Biffa in Aldridge where it is sent on to further locations for sorting and processing.
- It is then transformed into new items from garden furniture and fridges to new glass bottles and even wheelie bins.
- Can I have additional bags?: More details will be released on this once the bags have been delivered.
Sign up for TamworthLive newsletter here and get all the day’s biggest stories to your inbox.