Wrexham 3-0 Stockport County: Dragons go top of National League on goal difference

Wrexham’s Ollie Palmer has also played for Woking, Mansfield Town, Leyton Orient, Lincoln City and Crawley Town

Wrexham kept alive their National League title hopes with an impressive win over Stockport County which saw them replace the Hatters as leaders.

Ollie Palmer’s brace and Paul Mullin’s strike secured a win which saw the Dragons go top on goal difference.

County have a game in hand and four points from home games against Torquay on Wednesday and Halifax Town next Sunday would see them win the title.

Wrexham visit Dagenham & Redbridge in their final league fixture.

Phil Parkinson’s Wrexham have clawed back an 11-point gap which had separated them and the league leaders thanks to a 15-game unbeaten run alongside three defeats for County.

But defeat at Woking and a draw at Boreham Wood for Parkinson’s men meant County went into Sunday’s game three points ahead.

The two teams made a committed start in what was a frantic and physical opening 15 minutes at a packed and noisy Racecourse Stadium, with both sides well aware of what was at stake.

Miles Hippolyte had the first chance for the visitors and Christian Dibble had to stretch to stop his low shot, gathering at the second attempt.

Dave Challinor’s men enjoyed a good spell after that with Max Cleworth having to head away Antoni Sarcevic’s goalbound attempt before the striker had an effort saved by Dibble.

Dibble also did well to get his fingertips on the ball to divert an advancing Scott Quigley away from goal and the Stockport threat passed.

Wrexham weathered the storm and Mullin’s overhead kick, from a Ben Tozer throw, was tipped over by Ben Hinchliffe before Cleworth headed wide from the resultant corner.

Paddy Madden fired wide of the post but it was Wrexham who broke the deadlock.

Tozer’s long throw again caused problems for the County defense and Palmer headed past Hinchliffe for his 15th goal since joining Wrexham from AFC Wimbledon for a record fee in January.

Buoyed by that goal, Wrexham pushed forward and Mullin’s shot from a tight angle was parried by Hinchliffe.

But Wrexham’s top scorer was not to be denied as he coolly beat the County keeper after an excellent through ball from Jordan Davies.

The home side extended their lead in the opening minute of the second period, with Palmer getting his head to Davies’ free-kick for his second of the afternoon.

The game had swung in Wrexham’s favor and a missed opportunity by Madden and a tame Hippolyte free-kick which sailed over summed up Stockport’s fortunes.

Liam Hogan headed over as well but Wrexham, with a three-goal advantage, looked comfortable in the second half and secured the win which sets up an exciting finale to the season.



Training 4-4-2

  • 21dibble
  • 17Hosannah
  • 15French
  • 7DaviesSubstituted forO’Connordid 86′minutes
  • 32CleworthBooked at 69mins
  • 6Tozer
  • 3McFadzean
  • 8Young
  • 30Jones
  • 10Mullin
  • 35PalmerSubstituted forPonticellidid 90+1′minutes


  • 11McAlinden
  • 12Jarvis
  • 19Ponticelli
  • 22O’Connor
  • 23Camp


Training 4-4-2

  • 1Hinchcliffe
  • 4hogan
  • 5Palmer
  • 20Newby
  • 17RydelSubstituted forCrankshawdid 65′minutes
  • 16Keane
  • 18Croasdale
  • 21HippolyteBooked at 90mins
  • 23Sarcevic
  • 9Madden
  • 22QuigleyBooked at 39minsSubstituted forJenningsdid 46′minutes


  • 8cannon
  • 11Jennings
  • 25Ashby Hammond
  • 27Crankshaw
  • 34Francis-Angol

Martin Woods


Live Text

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.